Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Review of Days 5-11

So I'm a bit late in reviewing my take on all the action so far, as it happens I started traveling on Day 5 (I was watching NZ vs Slovakia on the Chicago 'L') and since then, haven't been able to watch a full game without some form of distraction until I got home last night. Regardless, thanks to ESPN Mobile TV and ESPN3.com, I calculate that I caught about 80% of the action.

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, if I can, as I'm already behind. I plan to review the action every day once we get to the round of 16.

Comparison of Regions
As it stands, UEFA and CONMEBOL dominate the list of teams that have either qualified or have a good chance of advancing, along with perhaps one or two Asian and CONCACAF teams. CAF is the singular biggest disappointment in this tournament, though, I would have given Ivory Coast a chance if Portugal didn't just go and hammer the North Koreans. This actually may have an impact on the number of delegates FIFA may allow to compete in the next few World Cups, and I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps CAF's fifth team will have to go to a playoff next time, whilst CONMEBOL's fifth may be spared.

Crosses and Free-kicks
My favorite two crosses that I've seen so far in this tournament, were the one that led to Japan's goal against Cameroon, and the one that led to New Zealand's equalizer against Slovakia. Both of them could only be defended if the target was closely marked. What I mean by that is that they were the type of cross that neither goalie or defender could react to. The New Zealand cross in particular is a big reason for being ambidextrous when it comes to crossing as well as dribbling and shooting.

As for free-kicks, I think today, S. Korea scored the only intentionally direct free kick so far this tournament, which says a lot about how hard it is to keep the ball down. In fact, the Korean kept it deliberately so far down it bounced before it went in, which, in retrospect, is the best thing you could do considering.

Go wide
It's no secret that playing wide can reap benefits, finding space for your team, but nothing beat Rommedahl on how to create simple goals coming in from the outside. Johan Cruyff said that "Simple football is the most beautiful" and the Danes showed the world what that can be, though it wasn't the "Total football" Cruyff was referring to.

On that note, probably the most beautiful no-goal, if it actually went in, was a passing movement by the Swiss against Chile, right before the death. I can't find the video, especially as it didn't result in a goal. The Swiss also had a player who, against Spain, walked his way through the entire defence, it seemed, only to hit the post. Dammit, that would have been my best no-goal, if it wasn't for Chris Wood.

Chris Wood
Waiting on the sidelines, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Playing, he didn't seem to have a big impact, he was, after all, playing for NZ against Italy. But he had a chance that went wide of the post, a chance, that, if it went in, would have permanently engraved his name in every history book and every encyclopedia in New Zealand. For, like Michael at the time, he is only a teenager.

I'll put my money on Wood starting the next game, as NZ has to beat Paraguay to advance. Will they be 2010's Australia?

Speaking of which, it hasn't really worked for Australia to have so few strikers on the squad, especially when two front men got sent off in two games in succession. They'll probably field a more attacking formation for their last chance, which won't include, at their loss, Harry.

Harry
Harry Kewell actually represents two times in my life, in the late 1990's, when Leeds United were the reincarnation of the 'crazy gang', a young but daring team taking on all comers, and even shocking some giants in the Champions League. I hated and loved them, and was sorry to see them fall apart like that (financial reasons) and to be scattered. For some reason, I always remember that Howard Wilkinson called Lee Bowyer an animal. The second time was when he played for Liverpool of course.

Have you noticed how I have a lot to say about former colonies? Oh well.

Referees
The Malian has to go, enough said. There's been a few other ridiculous decisions, but none that beat US's disallowed goal, which is a damn shame seeing it would have been a helluva comeback. Did the ref have an agenda? We can only speculate.

Let's Go!
And so we come to the start of the knockouts, as the third round is literally that, you win, you might not go home...though, in the case of England and the US, its certain: En-Ger-Laaand!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment